Thursday, March 31, 2011

What Are You Worth?


Believe it or not in high school I was one of the last kids to be picked on a team. It wasn’t always this way as I actually looked somewhat athletic. After others saw how uncoordinated I was they began to think twice before picking me.

The part of getting picked last that hurt the most was the feeling of unworthiness or lack of significance. It was heartbreaking watching the line diminish and seeing that your own friends avoided picking you. Who could blame them I did have two left feet and my hand and eye coordination was suspect.

This feeling of unworthiness was a major crutch in my life and I see the same look in many today. I believe there are many searching to be picked, searching for significance in this world. I see it on the faces of men awaiting the job offer, I see it in others awaiting a significant other, I see it others longing for a deep and intimate friendship.

This brings me to a beautiful story that reminds me of my worth in the eyes of the Almighty Father.

Priceless
A well-known priest had been invited to speak at a parish mission. The church was packed and all eyes were on him as he started his presentation. He looked around the congregation and took something out of his pocket. Everyone could see he was holding up a one hundred-dollar bill. He asked, “Who would like to have this hundred-dollar bill?” People looked at each other and wondered if this was some kind of trick, but hands started going up. He said, “Let me do this.” Holding both hands up high he crumpled the bill up into a small tight ball. He then asked, “Who still wants it?” More hands went up in the air. “Well,” he replied, “What if I do this?” And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe as hard as he could. When he picked it up, everyone could see the money was all crumpled and dirty. “Now who wants it?” Almost every hand was in the air. “My friends, today you have all learned a very valuable lesson because, in spite of what I did to it, this bill has not lost any of its value. It is still worth one hundred dollars. Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We may think we are worthless. But no matter what has happened or what will happen in your life, you will never lose your value in God’s eyes. Whether you are dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to God.” (World Library Publications)
To an Extraordinary Life!
Orlando Javien Jr., Author
God Made Me Pick Up Underwear

0 comments:

Post a Comment